Thursday, February 12, 2015

NEW ZEALAND PARLIAMENTARIAN NOSTRADAMUS AND ANTI-ASIAN FEAR-MONGERING OF 1896


In my sleuthing of old works, quite often, I come across what I name as the same-as-it-ever-was phenomena. Here is a clip from New Zealand parliamentary debates of the third session of the Twelfth Parliament held almost 119 years ago between July 8 and 31 of 1896.


In the debate supporting the advance of a bill restricting immigration, a Kiwi parliamentarian puts forth his fear-mongering belief of the Chinese and Japanese becoming the dominate manufacturers and exporters. You can skip to page 467 about midway down the left-hand column.

As I said, this is one of those same-as-it-ever-was things.

Oh, in case you wonder how did I find this, I had been searching the topic of reciprocity, which today, politicians call Free Trade Agreements. That too is another one of those same-as-it-ever-was was things.




















Did you notice how these mates called themselves honorable as they tried to justify their fears of Japanese and Chinese?

No comments:

Post a Comment